Friday, August 22, 2008

Tempo Run

I finally uploaded my "Tempo Run" to Nike Plus. According to Hal Higdon's training website, a Tempo run is "a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near race pace. (Notice I said "near" race pace. You don't want to go faster than your 10-K race pace.) In this program, tempo runs are scheduled for every other Wednesday, alternating with interval training on the track. A tempo run of 30 to 40 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, build to 10-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout and only for a few minutes. You can do tempo runs almost anywhere: on the road, on trails or even on a track."



The above run profile shows that at about 2/3 of the way into the run, I gradually build to 9.52 min miles. Then 3/4 of the way through my work out I start slowing down for the last 5 - 10 minutes. That's about how Hal would've wanted it.

No comments: