Monday, May 18, 2009

Papago Park Run


My sister had an early flight to NYC this morning, so I took this opportunity to do my run near the airport at Papago Park. After I dropped her off at 5:35 AM I drove and parked at the Phoenix Zoo nearby. The sun had just risen as I took off toward Hole in the Rock. What a beautiful morning.

The route I took was deserted aside from the one city vehicle that drove by. After 1/2 mile through the park, I got on Priest Drive greeted by the striking red rocks against the blue sky, I snapped a pic of this agave flower in bloom.

I was really enjoying the solitude and only after my turn around point did I see two runners and just one biker.

Running the opposite way on Priest Drive gave me a different perspective of Papago Park. I was able to see the Botanical Garden on my left. In the distance a beautiful yellow Chihuly glass sculpture towered over the creosote. The Chihuly exhibit is only going to be at the Desert Botanical Garden until the end of the month, so I vowed to see it before it leaves.

Running my usual route never bores me, but trying out different trails now and then are a special treat. When I do run a new trail, I want to make sure I bring my camera along. Sure, I've driven by Priest Drive a few times before, but running it gives me a new appreciation of the beauty that has in the past just whizzed by me at 40 mph.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Beautiful pictures. There's a 5k in Papago Park this Saturday. It's put on by the Arizona Roadracers and is part of their Summer Series.