Friday, May 22, 2009

My Attempt at Streaking

No, I'm not talking about running around nekkid for kicks and giggles. Sorry, to get your hopes up there. I'm talking about starting a running streak - run at least a mile for as many consecutive days as you can.

I first heard about this through this article "7,000, 9,000, 11,000 days in a row - runners won't quit". It's about a group that has registered their running streaks at www.runeveryday.com, the website for the United States Running Streak Association, USRSA.

Their active running streak list shows one "Legend", the category for greater than a 40 year long streak, Mark Covert, who is also the honorary chairman of the USRSA Advisory Board. There are at least 20 runners whose streak has lasted over 35 years. The "Neophyte" is the category for those whose streak is only less than 5 years old.

When I first read about this I thought to myself, there's no way I could do that! That's crazy talk!! I might try, but I won't last the week! Guess what?! Today is day seven! I did it. I lasted the week. But don't expect me to go signing up for membership to the USRSA anytime soon. I was just using this as inspiration to get myself back into the habit of running. I had injured my back in April and after looking at my sad monthly running graph, I knew I had to get back into it somehow.



So things are looking up. I've gotten back into it. I haven't signed up for any races yet, but at least my May totals are looking good. Let's see how long this streak lasts.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I did 26 days straight in January. In the end I decided that I enjoyed running on fresh legs much better.

Unknown said...

Here is something that might be interesting for all athletes. I had an excellent Arnold experience this year. The turnout was huge. Had to wait for hours to get inside the Expo. One company out of Vegas Military Grade was doing a bunch great specials during the show. All of their products were sold for 20 bucks and I grabbed quite of few of their supps. Four test boosters, one DOMS preventer. Positive experience with these products so far. Second Wind (DOMS preventer) substantially helps with my recoveries.