Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No shoes, No shorts, No problem


My mini running streak has survived the big travel test this weekend. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find time to run during our road trip to Southern California.

Sunday, Disneyland day, was the big test. I know it's crazy, but we decided last minute to do Disney that morning when we woke up in our Anaheim hotel room. Sure, it was a holiday weekend and the lines would be long, but I had a plan. We would get there early and hit as many major attractions as we could before 3 pm. Brian wanted to get on the road to San Diego so we could catch the sunset at the beach.
No problem!!

We were able to hit the Matterhorn, Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad and Star Tours all before 11:30 AM. After lunch, we did Space Mountain, Honey I shrunk the Audience, Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Autopia. Eleven rides in 6.5 hours on a holiday weekend!

When we got to Pacific Beach in San Diego it was only 4:30. I sat and watched the kids play in the water. Being the thin-blooded desert dweller, I chose to stay warm on the sand. My husband urged me to run a mile. "There's no excuse! You're on a beach. You can run one mile on the beach." He did mention that it would be pretty lame of me to break my running streak like this on day 9.

My tennis shoes and running shorts were in my suitcase back in the car several blocks away. All I had on were flip-flops, a tank top and jean shorts. Fine! He was right, there was no excuse. I took off my flip flops and ran on the shore; 7 minutes one way and 7 minutes back. Since I didn't have my shoes, I didn't have my Nikeplus running monitor to record the run or my distance. But with my average pace at 11:30 lately, I figured 14 minutes of running would be more than enough to keep the streak going.

Sure, I didn't look like the typical runner since I was wearing jean shorts. Also, the shore was hard on the balls of my feet at times (they are hating me now) and dodging seaweed was a task, but all in all, I'm glad I did it. The running streak is intact. I'm on day 11 now!

1 comment:

Pat said...

way to keep the streak alive. I think it's important to always remember you can run a mile in anything. I just talked with a friend that ran barefoot in a sprint tri in Tempe.